About Certification as Bowen Therapist
Regulation of Bowen Therapy
In Canada and in most countries around the world where Bowen Therapy is taught and practiced it is not regulated by any government or by any provincial or national associations. There is no ‘one’ governing body nor ‘one’ school and no regulation of who teaches it. Bowen Therapy is loosely self regulated mostly by schools and individual teaches. There are no regulations of these schools or teachers and they can vary quite widely in their approaches to the therapy. Bowen Online lessons are presented by The North American Bowen Teaching College. Its students are recognized by Bowen Canada and are listed as Certified Bowen Therapists (CBT) on its website. The North American Bowen Teaching College is the only school endorsed by the Bowen family.
How To become a Certified Bowen Therapist
Becoming a Certified Bowen Therapist is not everyone’s goal and reason for learning Bowen Therapy and the online lessons provided on Bowen Online resulted to everyone’s needs, To become a Certified Bowen Therapist the following steps should be completed
- Live Classes where an instructor presents the information, demonstrates and the students practice and are critiqued and given advice on how to best perform the procedure. Modules 1-6 taken live in addition to the online classes are required for certification. The classes are open to all people from all backgrounds and there are no requirements for starting to learn immediately. In fact, you will be able to utilize all the lessons immediately.
- Online Video Classes where the instruction is taped and the information and demonstration can be viewed over and over. The Online Video Classes don’t teach all Bowen Therapy procedures but a large majority including the most used as taught in Modules 1-4. There are different levels of learning to choose from. To be certified a student must have completed live classes Modules 1-6 and the ‘Bowen Annually‘ online classes.
- Printed and Downloadable Manuals 1 though 8 are available for those wishing to have printed and readable materials to accompany their learning. These are provided free at the Live Classes and the download format of Manuals 1-4 are available for free as part of the Online Classes including.
- After attending a Live Class Modules 1-6 the student is assessed and they can then take an exam online. To have access to the online exam the student must be registered for the ‘Bowen Annuallly‘ subscriber of the online classes.
- When successful they earn the designation of CBT (Certified Bowen Therapist) and can advertise their name and contact info for free on the Bowen Canada website.
Modules 7 & 8 are taught to earn the designation of CBP (Certified Bowen Practitioner).
Continuing Education credits are given by most professional associations in Canada and the US for the Bowen Therapy training. Please contact your association to find out whether Bowen Therapy classes qualify.
Students come from many different backgrounds and practices, even different careers. As befitting Tom Bowen’s legacy all are welcome to take part in the training and many people take only a part of the training in order to care for family, friends and even animals.
8 Class Modules of 2 days each
*CBT™ – (Certified Bowen Therapist™) is granted by Bowen Canada upon the successful completion of:
- Modules 1-6 live class
- Modules 1-4 online via the Bowen Annual Subscriber
- 120 hours Anatomy & Physiology
- 100 clinical/practice hours
- The Bowen Therapist Certification Exam
*CBP™ – (Certified Bowen Practitioner™) is granted by Bowen Canada upon the successful completion of:
- CBT™ Level of training
- Modules 7-8
- 500 clinical hours
- The Bowen Practitioner Certification Exam